Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Inauguration Performance

Follow this link to see the NY Times article discussing the musical performance at last week's presidential inauguration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/arts/music/23band.html?_r=1&th&emc=th


I was so excited when they announced Itzhak Perlman and Yo Yo Ma would be performing a piece. The absolute best musicians for their respective instruments!
Then I was almost immediately let down when the piece they played was some bland rendition of "Simple Gifts". Where was the opportunity for crazy finger-flying techniques that I wanted to see?
And to top it off, it turns out that they pulled an Ashlee Simpson-esque move in pre-recording the piece and faking the live playing.


1 comment:

Miss Outlier said...

I got to see Perlman perform live when I was younger living in New York - breathtaking. An excellent choice for the occasion, as you say.