Saturday, April 11, 2009

My First New England Winter

I guess it is officially spring now, so perhaps it is time to reflect on my journey through a "real" winter for the first time.

Before starting school here, I viewed the idea of a harsh Boston winter very negatively, going so far as to even consider not choosing this school because of that fact alone. However, having survived one round of it, I've learned a few things.

- As long as you wear enough layers (not just on your upper body), most of the cold feeling goes away. (Amazing how I wasn't aware of this simple concept)
- Experiencing different seasons is a wonderful thing! (I didn't understand this until I experienced it myself.....)
-Learn to go skiing early in the winter season. It's great to have something to look forward to in the winter months (ice hockey and ice skating are also great fun)
-Feeling crisp air on your face as you walk to class can be quite a refreshing way to start the day.
-People (myself included) wear shorts on the first day that 50 degree weather arrives.



Now, having said those positive things, I must admit that I am quite ready for warmer days to come now. Seriously.... it is April and I still have to wear gloves and a hat at night. Not to mention, at our frisbee tournament today in Rhode Island, it SNOWED. The conditions were far more rainy and cold than I have ever experienced while playing frisbee. I'm not used to this: in Oklahoma it might unexpectedly start raining, but nothing there (in weather terms) lasts more than a couple hours. This was unrelenting.

Ahhhh sweaty summer months, hurry up and get here so I can start wearing T-shirts outside again and play frisbee under the SUN.

No comments: